Wednesday 5 October 2011

Neon workshop

I managed to sneak away last month to a town called Wakefield, a very interesting place with some lovely architecture and genuine warm people. Wakefield on a Thursday, Fri and Sat night becomes a mecca to the Night Clubbers, two very different sides to the Town .

Richard working his magic
The Bombarder (something from weird science)
I have always been intriqued by neon lights, it's rather like a moth being drawn to the light. I decided on an impulse to attend  The Neon Universe course which is run by Richard Wheater at the neon workshops. Not really knowing what to expect, myself and six other budding neon artists designed and manufactured our own lights in the four days of the course. The glass bending is a true art and requires many hours practice, if not years to perfect. Of course we all managed to be experts in four days ;-0


It truley was a fantastic experience and insight into neon lighting which is over 100 years old.  Neon lighting has been side swiped by cheaper led lighting in recent years which is a shame. I am sure neon will be around for many more years to come and I for one will be promoting it!.  I will be adding a page to our web site dedicated to Neon lighting very soon https://www.vintagelights.co.uk/ in the mean time check out  www.neonworkshops.com.

Wolfgang in the forefront making his master piece! Tim and Julie in the background
I have come away with a load of ideas, just need the time to put them into action.

Double Rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment